Saturday, February 9, 2008

Chicken and Broccoli Stir Fry

I had every intention of making an authentic Chinese stir-fry this weekend in honor of the Chinese New Year. Well authentic did not happen, but delicious did. I just kind of threw together a bunch of stuff that I thought would taste good together. No recipe to follow, which is how I like to cook best. So here's my version of stir-fry.

Chicken & Broccoli Stir Fry
4 boneless chicken breasts cut into thin strips
2 large heads of broccoli, cut into bite size pieces
1 package of portabella mushrooms, sliced
2 carrots, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 tablespoon sesame oil
3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 pkg frozen Chinese vegetables
Fresh grated ginger
Stir-Fry Noodles
Cornstarch mixed with water

Fill a pot with boiling water and get that started for your noodles.

I started off by marinating the chicken in the rice wine vinegar. I'd say I had them marinating for about a half hour before cooking. In a very hot pan add the chicken, oyster sauce and sesame oil. When the chicken was about 1/2 way done, I threw in the broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, garlic and put a lid on the pan. I know this isn't traditional stir-fry, but I wanted to steam the broccoli a bit. After about 5 minutes I took the cover off and added some grated ginger, about a 1/2 teaspoon. At this point I added in a bag of frozen Chinese veggies that my grocery store just started it carry. The are a knock off of the Steam Fresh veggies and are really tasty. I nuked them for 5 minutes and threw them in the pan as well. There was a good bit of liquid at the bottom of the pan now so I thickened it with some cornstarch mixed with water. When everything was just about ready I threw in some stir fry noodles into the boiling water. They only take 3 minutes to cook.

These stir-fry noodles are my new favorite food item. They are cheap, made with only 2 ingredients (whole wheat flour a plus for me!) and cook in no time. I buy them buy the bunch so I always have them handy when I need to cook something quick.

I transferred everything into a large bowl, tossed and served. It was really good and good for us too.

No comments: