Sunday, April 20, 2008

Chocolate Chocolate Chip Muffins

Sometimes the mood just strikes you and you have to walk away from the cupcake recipes and make a muffin now and then. I like to think of cupcakes and muffins as cousins in the world of food. Similar, but still very different. Muffins conger up thoughts of breakfast, portable food, where the cupcake says celebration to me, birthdays and parties. Although I love my cupcakes, sometimes you just want a nice muffin and a big glass of milk.

This is yet another in my never ending pile of recipes I want to try. John and I split one in half to do a taste test. I got a big “Mmmm” outta him immediately, so I knew they were good before I even bit into my half. I said to him “this is a Nigella recipe, you know the dark haired English lady on Food Network?" For a second he tilted his head and scrunched up his nose, and then he said “Oh the one with the big boobs”. Yes honey, the one with the big boobs. Why am I not at all surprised at that?

These muffins, although light in texture, have a wonderful chocolaty flavor. I will definitely be making these again. I’m sure the big boobed lady will be proud.

Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Muffins
Nigella Lawson

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons best quality cocoa powder
3/4 cup superfine sugar
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips, plus 1/4 cup for sprinkling
1 cup milk
1/3 cup plus 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 egg
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Special equipment: Muffin tin with paper muffin cases (I used nut cups for a change)

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 cup of the chocolate chips into a large bowl. Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug. Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, remembering that a lumpy batter makes the best muffins. Spoon into the prepared muffin cases. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup chocolate chips on top and then bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.

No comments: