Saturday, April 12, 2008

Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings

John loves Onion Rings. Whenever we are out and there is a choice of fries or onion rings, he will pick the onion rings every time. Me, I'm a bit picky about my onion rings. I don't like those big honking 3 inch thick onion rings that the batter slides off of as soon as you take a bite, and I have found that those are usually the ones that are served in most restaurants. Easy, frozen, greasy, fat onions rings. Yuck! But Onion Stings, oh hold on now, those are a very different thing entirely. If Onion Strings are on the menu, which doesn't happen very often, I would order them in a heartbeat. So imagine how happy I was when I saw Pioneer Woman's recipe for Onion Strings. It totally makes up for the fact that even though I enter every single contest she has, and that I love every single prize that she offers, I have never ever won. The last contest was for a $400 Williams Sonoma gift card! $400! I'm drooling just thinking about the damage I could do in that store with that much money. I'm going to keep trying though, cause I want so very badly to win and have it be to a store where I could put it towards that Nikon I have been eyeing. I know it will probably never happen, but it keeps me going.

Ok enough that whining....on to Onion Strings, the perfect accompaniment to my turkey burgers.

Pioneer Woman's Onion Strings
1 large onion
2 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 scant tablespoon salt
Lots of black pepper
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
Canola Oil

Slice onion very thin. Place in a baking dish and cover with buttermilk for at least one hour. Combine dry ingredients and set aside. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Grab a handful of onions, throw into the flour mixture, tab to shake off excess, and PLUNGE into hot oil. Fry for a few minutes and remove as soon as golden brown. Repeat until onions are gone. Eat before your family sees them. Repeat with another onion, because they’ll be really mad they didn’t get any.
Much obliged PW.

No comments: