Sunday, May 4, 2008

Banana Bread


I found this recipe in Yankee Magazine about 20 years ago. The original page from the magazine got so torn and tattered from use that I finally had to break down a few years ago and re-type it (with all my notes) on the computer. It’s the only banana bread recipe that I use. What makes this different is that the bananas are whipped and this bread bakes low and slow producing the perfect moist and flavorful banana bread that you will ever have. It’s so simple to make that I can whip up one of these in less than 10 minutes.

I thought it might be nice if John took some into work to his new colleagues. He wouldn’t let me make anything for him to bring his first week. I even offered to make my “To Die For Blueberry Muffins”. He didn’t want to look like a kiss ass. Well with week 2 almost underway….let the ass kissing begin!

Make sure your bananas are ripe.

Banana Bread
3 large ripe bananas
½ cup butter (1 stick) room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ - ½ cup chopped nuts or dates (if desired)

In a large bowl crush the bananas with a fork until the break down. With an electric mixer on medium speed cream the bananas until they are light a fluffy, about 2 minutes. Set aside. In a large bowl cream the butter and the sugar. Add the eggs, then flour, and baking soda. The mixture will be thick, almost dough like at this point. Once this is well combined add the whipped bananas in and mix slowly, just until they are incorporated in the batter. Don’t over mix! Lastly if you want dates or nuts in your bread, gently fold them in. Turn the batter into a well-greased loaf pan. I use a non stick loaf pan so I just lightly spray it with vegetable oil.

Bake slowly in a 325 pre-heated oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted into the center comes clean. This loaf was finished in 65 minutes.

We love ours toasted with a thin layer of cream cheese. A decadent breakfast for us!

No comments: