Thursday, July 3, 2008

Deep Chocolate Brownies


Phew! I have been in the kitchen since 8:00am this morning cookin' up a storm. At certain points it looked like a tornado passed through my kitchen. It's miserably hot outside so the A/C is crankin' to make baking bearable. I'm going to wrap things up for today and go get myself presentable. My parents are taking John and I out for dinner. It's his birthday today! I teased him this morning telling him "Couldn't your Mom have crossed her legs a little longer so you would have been born on the 4th of July instead of the 3rd??" Is that so much to ask?? Somehow I don't think my mother-in-law will find the humor in that statement.

I thought these Rich Chocolate Brownies would be a welcome addition to the dessert table. Moist and like the name says, very rich, just one of these could satisfy my sweet tooth for at least....oh.....an hour! If you like cake-like brownies, these are not for you. Fudgy and dense....I think I am in heaven. Just give me a glass of milk and back away.

Deep Chocolate Brownies
from Gourmet Magazine

Printable recipe
2 sticks unsalted butter
8 oz of fine quality bittersweet chocolate (no more than 60% cacao)
2 cups sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
5 large eggs
2/3 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup Dutch process cocoa powder
½ teaspoon salt

Preheat the oven to 350 with rack in the middle. Butter and flour a 9x13 inch pan. Melt the butter and the chocolate in a 3-quart heavy saucepan over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat and cool till lukewarm. Whisk in sugar and vanilla. Whisk in eggs
1 at a time until mixture is glossy and smooth.

Whisk together flour, cocoa and salt, then whisk into the chocolate mixture until combined. Spread in pan and bake until toothpick interested in center comes out with crumbs. 25 – 35 minutes. Cool completely.

3 comments:

kat said...

jaewiq fdkjfbsdkq ohqoeh of aoiahoeir qdahdaoho qo ohoq a

Sorry, can't talk... drooling...

Anonymous said...

Happy B-Day John! Those are some great looking B-Day brownies! Just the way I like em..rich and chocolately!

Anonymous said...

I've made these yesterday and they were absolutely perfect! Best Brownies I've ever had. Thank you.