Sunday, July 6, 2008

Muddy Buddies


Salty and crunchy, chocolaty and sugary what's not to like about Muddy Buddies? Sometimes referred to as Puppy Chow or People Chow, I have made these plain as you see them now, or to dress them up for the holidays, I have added in mini chocolate chips, peanuts, M&M's, etc. Today we opted for the simple peanut butter and chocolate coated variety. We're trying to keep it simple. We plan on catchin a movie (Wall-E) with the boys this week, and muddy buddies are the perfect movie snack (I'm not paying $6 for jujubes thank you very much). I'll smuggle in four bags of muddy buddies and plenty of wipes.

Warning the following recipe is highly addictive (and very messy to make, but worth every minute of messiness!)


Muddy Buddies
Printable recipe
9 cups of Chex cereal – any variety
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup smooth peanut butter
¼ cup margarine or butter (use butter!)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 ½ cups powdered sugar

In 1-quart microwavable bowl, stir together chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Microwave uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.

Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container.

4 comments:

My Sweet & Saucy said...

Thanks so much for checking out my blog! Love this recipe...looks so yummy!

Anonymous said...

These look wonderful! Definitely worth the mess!

krysta said...

i so need to make these!

Blue Yonder said...

Oh you evil woman! I had forgotten all about these and now I'm going to have to have some.
I make them around Christmas usually... around about the time I'm wearing sweaters and can hide the fact that I've been snarfing Muddy Buddies in the middle of the night :-)