Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins

Espresso Chip Muffins in basket

A beautiful Saturday turned into a not so beautiful Sunday this past weekend. It was kinda rainy and gloomy so I knew yard work was out of the question. I did the next best thing to working on my landscape…I baked.

One of the few things I miss during the hot summer months is baking. My time spent with the oven decreases dramatically. Oh there are days I will crank the air conditioning in the kitchen and just go for it, but more often than not I will opt for a dessert that doesn’t involve heating up the oven.

Since my oven heating days are limited, I decided to whip up a batch of these muffins. Although I am a cupcake fiend, I do like cute little muffins too. The kids like it when I make them cause they are easily transportable for lunches.

Espresso Chip Muffins solo

I found this recipe on
Bake or Break and tweaked it a bit by adding in some espresso powder. I refrained from trying any, but Mitch and the kids all said they were delicious as they were grabbing for seconds.

Espresso Chip Muffins stacked


Espresso Chocolate Chip Muffins
Printable recipe
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup granulated sugar
¼ cup packed brown sugar
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoons baking soda
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
2 eggs
½ cup unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled
1 teaspoon espresso powder
½ cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup semi-sweet choc chips

Preheat the oven to 375. Lightly grease or line 12 muffin cups.

In a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs. Melt the butter and then add in the espresso powder. Let cool slightly. Stir in melted butter, milk and vanilla into the eggs. Add to the flour mixture, stirring just until the dry ingredients are moistened. You know the mantra – don’t over mix you muffin!!! Stir in the chocolate chips. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.

Bake 20 – 22 minutes or until toothpicks inserted into a muffin comes out clean. Serve warm, or hot if you husband can’t wait for them to cool before he takes one.

Espresso Chip Muffins in liner

8 comments:

Jeff said...

Happy to hear I am not the only one who had uncooperative weather this weekend for yard work. Which sucks because I spend my weeknights trying to mow, till, plant, and add stuff. Grrr.....

Muffins that can get my caffeine into me I am all about. Heck if I could get an IV drip of caffeine I would be in heaven.

Nicely done and they look great!

Debbie said...

It's funny how we cook with the seasons, isn't it?
the muffins look great.

Bunny said...

Pretty ,Pretty, Pretty!! These sound terrific, you know they're good when the kids go for'em!

Doreen Frost said...

I too cook with the seasons. Right now on these chilly Spring mornings when we do not have the wood stove going...I will pop something in the oven..to warm the house......oh how I love baking!!! I'm making chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting today!

Have a wonderful day :)Doreen

Juliana said...

Wow, these muffins looks terrific...coffee and chocolate, great combo. Great pictures as well. By the way, thank you for visiting my site.

grace said...

anything combining chocolate and caffeine is welcome in my mouth and in my belly. the texture of these beauties looks perfect too--nice work!

June said...

I may live on these. Forever.

Thanks!

Snooky doodle said...

oh these muffins look delicious ! I love espresso and chocolate chips :) yummy