Friday, January 15, 2010

Grapenut Pudding - made in the blender!

Grape Nut Pudding CU

During part of my lazy vacation I went through some really old recipe binders I've had since I was a teenager.

I was about 18 when I started to collect recipes, and I put them in the old fashioned photo albums with that piece of static cling paper that you peeled back to slide the pictures into. Remember those? I have 3 of them filled with recipes I collected back in the 80's.

I had a mini trip down memory lane as I looked over recipes from friends and co-workers that I hadn't thought of in a long while.

This recipe was from a friend named Susan that I worked with over 25 years ago. As I looked at her handwriting, a flood of memories came back. I was 19 and had just saved up for my first "real" camera, a Canon AE1 Program. Sue asked me if I would take some pictures for her upcoming wedding. Young and enthusatic about my new camera, I happily said yes. I remember shooting 12 rolls of film at her wedding. Film. Remember that?? When I presented the photos to her, she was near tears. She told me they were better than the ones the professional photographer took. She framed my photos and hung them on her walls. I was beyond thrilled. In a way, she was the one that encouraged me to really pursue my passion for photography.

I went through thousands of rolls of film in the past 25 years, and now I've moved on to the digital age of photography. Back when I was shooting with film I never in a million years thought that there would be another way to take pictures. Funny how things change.

One thing that hasn't changed...how good this grape nut pudding is and how easy it is to make. I've been making it for over 25 years now and I still love scooping it into my little custard cups and topping it with whipped cream and a sprinkling of nutmeg.

This pudding needs to bake in a water bath. So grab a casserole pan that will fit inside a larger pan. Put the smaller pan inside the larger pan, and just before baking, fill the larger pan 3/4 of the way full with water. Capish? Ok now let's make some pudding.

Grape Nut Pudding pre-bake


Grapenut Pudding (in the blender)

Printable recipe

Oven to 350.
In a blender mix:
4 cups of milk (I used 2%, you can use whatever you like)
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 to 1 cup of sugar
(depending on how sweet you like it, I use just a tad over 1/2 cup and it's plenty sweet for my taste)

Blend until well combined and pour into a casserole dish. Pour 1 cup of grape nuts in a measuring cup and sprinkle it on top of the custard mixture. Note: They will float! I also grated on some nutmeg before it went in the oven, but that's optional.

Grape Nut Pudding in cup

Bake for 1 hour. Test for doness. Mine needed another 8 minutes back in the oven. Yours may not. The pudding should still be a bit giggly like cheesecake, but not soupy and you should be able to slide a knife near the center and have it come up clean.

Some people like to eat their pudding hot. Not me. I like it chilled (with whipped cream and another sprinkling of nutmeg).

Grape Nut Pudding CU TS

8 comments:

Jessica @ How Sweet said...

This is so interesting. It looks really good!

TKW said...

Hey, this is intriguing! And not even that bad for you! Wow.

Lyndas recipe box said...

Very interesting pudding...I've never heard of this pudding, but want to try it. Thanks for posting this recipe!

Doreen Frost said...

This looks so comforting.

LOVE the story..how sweet to go down memory lane! I love the photo album idea..i'm not sure if they even sell those types of albums now :)

Wishing you a wonderful day,
Doreen

Anonymous said...

Can you make me some? That is my favorite.

Kathy Gilbert

Carol said...

Oh how I love Grapenut pudding, Lisa! And I love the idea of using a blender too....that means you get it into the oven quicker, then into the dessert dish quicker! I've always stirred the cereal in...never sprinkled it...I'm using your recipe the next time I make it.
I also remember those "magnetic" photo albums.....I never could get the wrinkles out of the clingy cover sheet....geesh....

Anonymous said...

OH....MY.....GOD. I cannot even abbreviate it. That looks heavenly. How DO you get those gorgeous food shots.

I love that you collect recipes that way. I have a pile of clippings to be sorted upstairs...ummm....someday soon.

I started the binder thing about nine years ago, my husband destroyed most of them when I left him, I'm still mourning many a recipe, but the most important binder (from my Grandmom) is still here so that is all that matters.

Steph Cork said...

i made your recipe today. it was easy & delish! thank you!