Friday, February 12, 2010

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza

Oatmeal Choc Chip Pizza Cookie sliced

How great would it be to make a whip up a batch of delicious cookie dough and not have to stand there and drop the dough by the spoonful onto a baking sheet? Wouldn't it be great to just plop a big old mound of dough into the center of a cookie sheet and have a GIANT Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie?

Hell yeah.

I had a stack of magazine 2 feet high to go through. I get about 6 subscriptions and then I get about 6 more from family and friends that we swap and eventually they all end up at the assisted living facility that my Nana is in. They use them for crafts and stuff. They really get used and recycled, and that makes me feel good.

So I'm speed flipping through a copy of Good Housekeeping, cause frankly, who has time to read 12 magazines a month, so I speed read them. I just manically flip through the pages and rip out recipes or anything that interest me. Then the clippings either go into my "to make" basket or my "inspiration" basket. My inspiration basket is filled with clippings of rooms I love, or a design style, or a product I want to look into more, dream house photos, those kind of things. I ripped out this recipe and since it was so simple and easy, I gave it a reprieve from the basket and decided to go ahead and just make it.

Oatmeal Choc Chip Pizza Cookie uncooked

Here's a tip for making the perfect 8 inch circle. If you have one, use a protractor and draw a circle in pencil on the parchment paper and then flip it over so the pencil mark isn't touching your batter, although really, if you didn't flip it, I'm sure that a little pencil mark isn't gonna kill ya. Now you have a template for your cookie batter. Just use a flat spatula and spread it out to the ends of the circle. If you don't have a protractor, just grab a salad plate, most of them are about 8 inches, or just be wild and grab a ruler and free hand it.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie Pizza
Printable recipe
¾ cup all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup old fashioned oats
¾ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
½ cup walnuts, chopped

Oven to 375. Line large cookie sheet with parchment.

Mix the flour, baking soda and salt until well blended.

In a 3-quart saucepan, melt the butter on low. Remove from the heat and with a wire whisk, stir in the brown sugar and granulated sugar until blended. Whisk in the egg and vanilla. With a wooden spoon, stir in the flour mixture, then oats, then chips and walnuts till combined.

Oatmeal Choc Chip Pizza Cookie with milk

Spoon the batter into the center of the prepared cookie sheet. With a spatula spread the batter to an even 8 inch round. Bake 18 minutes or until cookie is golden brown. Let cool on a cookie sheet on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Transfer to a cutting board lined with waxed paper. Cut the cookie into 12 wedges and serve warm.

This would be great served warm with some vanilla ice cream, and some whipped cream and a cherry on top. Ok I'm getting a little carried away but you get the idea. Boy am I glad we didn't have ice cream in the house.

11 comments:

tara said...

This is such a good idea, so welcomg to serve up a wedge of cookie. It stops the bother of multiple batches, as well. One to try, for sure.

noble pig said...

Oh how cool!

soccermom said...

Now that is the kind of cookie I would like to eat. Thanks for the great post.

Amy said...

But if there's only one, what will my kids eat? ;-)

Lynnette said...

At 12 yrs old my best friend and I made one of these and ate the whole thing in one siting. I still remember it clearly and that was over 40 yrs ago! Thanks for making me smile today.

Jenny Saunders said...

Yummmmmm. Some how having the oatmeal in there (being a whole grain) over comes my feeling of guilt eating chocolate! Oh wait, I have sugar free chocolate chips now. Never mind. Outta my way....I have to make this....! Thanks Lisa.

Chiot's Run said...

This looks delicious!!! Perhaps I could make one this weekend, tasty Olympic snacking for sure!

Nutmeg Nanny said...

Mmmmm cookie pizza....I'm so into that!

CourtneyM said...

This looked delicious, so I decided to make it this weekend. Problem: all of my chocolate chips melted before I even got it into the oven. Any idea what I did wrong? Only I would find a way to screw up a simple recipe.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Courtney, sorry to hear about your chips melting. Maybe your butter was too hot? I always let mine cool for a few minutes. I get it just to the melting point, then remove it from the heat. Then I added in the rest of the ingredients. Try, try again I say! Good luck!

grace said...

oh heavens. this looks amazing--cake, pie, and cookie all at once. i could tear through this whole discus and a gallon of ice cream in no time at all. :)