Friday, October 1, 2010

Pistachio Bites - or as I like to call them...Acorn Bites.

Pistachi bites 2

If you love shortbread, then you will love these cookies.

If you love pistachios, you will love these cookies.

If you love cookies, you will love these cookies. Ok maybe not, cause not everyone who loves cookies, loves shortbread type cookies, but if you are a cookie lover in general, you're in!

What I loved about making these? They are totally a "make ahead" cookie. You can make the dough a few days ahead of time and then just slice 'em up and bake them when you are ready.

You could even freeze the dough and let it thaw in the fridge for a few days and then bake them.

Easy Peasy.

What I also love about these....they look like acorns to me.

Kinda right?

It might just have been the way my dough firmed up, but when I was sprinkling them with chopped pistachios I thought..."these looks a bit like acorns".


Pistachi bites 1

I know some of you are already thinking about Christmas cookies. You could make a few batches of this dough in November and just thaw it out and bake for Christmas.

Pistachio Bites
recipe from Megan's Cooking
1 cup butter (2 sticks) softened
½ cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 cups all purpose flour
¼ teaspoon vanilla
¼ teaspoon almond extract
1 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped, divided
6 oz vanilla flavored candy coating *I used almond bark.
1 teaspoon shortening

Oven to 325

Combine the butter and sugar in bowl of stand mixer. Beat at medium speed until creamy, scraping the bowl often. (1 to 2 minutes). Reduce speed to low and add the flour, vanilla and almond extract. Beat until well mixed and dough forms.

Stir in ½ cup of the pistachios. Shape the dough into a log. Wrap well with plastic wrap and refrigerate 3 hours or overnight.

Pistachi bites 3

Slice the log into ¼ inch slices. Placed on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until edge are lightly browned. Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute* (see note) then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.

Place the candy coating and the shortening in a microwave safe bowl and microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and continue to microwave every 15 seconds until coating is melted and smooth.

Place waxed paper on a flat surface and dip each cookie halfway into the warm coating. Shake off the excess. Place onto wax paper, immediately sprinkle with remaining pistachios.

*Note - You really need to let his cool for 2 - 3 minutes on the baking sheet before you remove them or they will crumble. 1 minute just wasn't enough for mine.

Oh yeah one last thing.....

YEAH It's OCTOBER!!
(my favorite month)

5 comments:

Darcy said...

These look absolutely yummy, Lisa. We can't wait to bake them this weekend! It's our favorite time of the year, too, and we want to celebrate!

TKW said...

Those are so cute! I love pistachios! Why are they so underrated, I wonder?

Abby said...

I love them! I think they're beautiful. I might be searching for an acorn cookie cutter to try these myself!

Unknown said...

Wow, these are beauties. I'm going to bookmark these. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
*kisses* HH

Sarah Says said...

This looks amazing! I love pistachio, particularly the gelato. Definitely bookmarking. Love it.