Friday, December 30, 2011

Sausage Rolls

Sausage Rolls1

Guess what I got for Christmas?

A head cold. Way to go Santa.

I've been just miserably sick, but the show must go on right? So I managed to cook everything I had to for Christmas Eve. I actually had to stop and take a few breaks in between. I was that sick.

We had a perfectly nice little Christmas even though I slept through a lot of it.

Now we're on to New Years Eve. I'm starting to feel better, so by Saturday I hope to be happily cooking in the kitchen without taking too many breaks.

I made these Sausage Rolls for Christmas Eve. They were a big hit. I had looked up several recipes online and finally decided to just make up my own.

I baked these off the day before, refrigerated them, then sliced and re-heated for Christmas Eve. If your going to be serving them straight out of the oven, I would let them sit for 15 minutes before slicing.

Oh one more thing...HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We're hosting a house party (what a shock!) with a few close friends. Hopefully the bunch of us geezers can actually stay up till midnight!

Sausage Rolls

Sausage Rolls

recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge or Ordinary
1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
1 pound pork sausage
1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash or seasoning of your choice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 eggs, divided

Preheat the oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out one sheet of the puff pastry. You just want it a bit bigger than it is when it comes out of the package, approximately 12 inches or so. Now fold the dough and cut it in half so you have two pieces. Do the same with the remaining sheet of pastry.

Combine the sausage, seasoning, mustard and 1 egg in a bowl. Mix together.

Mix the other egg in a small bowl with about a teaspoon of water. Brush all four edges of the puff pastry. Divide the sausage into four equal amounts. I just eyed it. Take one fourth and form a long sausage like shape down the middle of the dough, starting and ending a 1/2 inch from the ends. Fold one side, then the other up over the sausage. Pinch the edges to seal. Place on lined sheet and brush with egg wash. Repeat 3 more times with remaining pastry.

With a sharp knife slice several slits into the top of the pastry. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until puffy and golden brown. Allow to cool 15 minutes, then slice into pieces to serve.

10 comments:

Lyndas recipe box said...

These look so good; I might put them on this week ends menu.
So sorry you were sick for Christmas, but glad you are feeling better.
Happy New Year!

Amy said...

Midnight. Bwahahahahaha. I'm lucky if we can make it to 10. Haven't seen the ball drop in years. Happy New Year, Lisa! Thanks for filling my kitchen with yummy this year.

Texana said...

Planning to make these for new years eve...just a little confused on how to cut the pastry into 4 pieces...do they measure 3x12?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Texana, no cut the sausage mixture into four. I just eyed it in the bowl so there was 4 equal amounts of sausage mix. Sorry for the confusion. You'll be using 2 sheets of puff pastry cut in half. I need to go back and correct that!

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Sorry you're sick, Lisa. Since I can't send chicken soup, I'll send healthy thoughts your way.

Cooked sausage? Or raw.

They look tasty.

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Raw Dana...it cooks in the oven. Happy new year!

Flat Creek Farm said...

sorry you were sick for Christmas! Been there, done that a few times through the years :-/ Your sausage rolls look/sound better than the ones I made.. will try yours! Happy New Year and thanks for the always yummy recipes! -Tammy

Unknown said...

these look great! made your cowboy casserole again and it was a hit! i'm going to try these tonight! happy new year!! susan

Dana @ Cooking At Cafe D said...

Thanks Lisa :)

Becki's Whole Life said...

That stinks that you were sick for Christmas:-(. These look great, though...and so easy!