Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Toffee Pretzel Bark

Pretzel toffee


So here I was just a few posts ago saying I don't make cookies much in the summer and now I go and make candy! I just put myself to shame.

I don't know if you can technically call this candy, there is no thermometer involved, there is no tempering, none of that. There is just melting and chopping and incorporating goodness on to the baking sheet them breaking it apart with your hands to eat it.

This recipe was so good. I mean so, so good. It's similar to the ghetto crack that's been around for years.

We love salty/sweet and this didn't dissapoint. The original recipe called for a white chocolate topping. No one in this house is a fan of white chocolate so I substituted milk.

Pretzel toffee 1


Toffee Pretzel Bark
Adapted from a recipe at the Brown Eyed Baker

14 ounces dark chocolate, finely chopped *see note.
½ cup broken pretzel pieces, (I used pretzel sticks broken in 3 pieces)
½ cup Heath toffee pieces
7 ounces milk chocolate (I used chips)
More chopped pretzels and toffee for sprinkling.

Line a baking sheet with parchment. In a double boiler or in a microwave melt the dark chocolate, stirring until the chocolate is smooth. (I did this in the microwave on half power). Remove from heat and stir in the pretzel and toffee pieces. Spread the mixture on the parchment. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Melt the milk chocolate and spread over the hardened dark chocolate. Sprinkle with chopped pretzels and toffee. Use your palm to press them lightly into the chocolate. Return to the fridge to harden. Once hardened, chop into pieces. Store in fridge in airtight container.

Note* I found my dark chocolate at Aldi. They have some fantastic imported chocolate at great prices.

5 comments:

Creating Through LIFE said...

I love salty sweet, I'm gonna have to try this!

Amy said...

I've had this bookmarked FOR.EVER. I really need to make it. But I love white chocolate, so I'd keep it in. You can't go wrong with chocolate and pretzels!

Rian said...

Surfing through blogs this morning and came across the picture of your toffee pretzel bark. Since I love the combination of dark chocolate and salt... I thought this was definitely one to try! Thanks for the beautiful pictures!

Andra said...

Oh, this is simply amazing!
And so easy to do... it's a must try! :)

Roberta @ ArtcyLucy said...

This looks incredibly tasty...and easy to make! LOVE LOVE the sweet/salty combo...so thank you so much for sharing the recipe...and the delicious photos!