Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Buckeye Brownies

Buckeye Brownies 1

Even though my husbands family is from Ohio, I had never heard of buckeyes until I worked with a girl who was originally from Ohio (who later married the defensive coach of the New England Patriots and left the company. I just had to add that in) introduced me to them.

The buckeyes I first had were peanut butter balls dipped in chocolate. So good. Called buckeyes because the resemble the buckeye nut, which I'm guessing must grow on some kind of tree in Ohio. I really don't know about that. I do know they are a favorite of the Ohio State Buckeye fans and that's good enough for me cause my father-in-law is a fan of Ohio State.

I must state for the record, that I'm not really into peanut butter the way some folks are. I work with a few people who go crazy for anything made with peanut butter. Me, not so much. I don't dislike it, but I'm not ga-ga over it ya know?

I really do like the buckeyes though. I've had them with the smooth peanut butter filling, and with rice crispies added in. Either way, they were good.

My youngest is one of those peanut butter freaks so when I came across this recipe, I knew he would love these.

The bottom layer is just your regular ole' brownie, but the top layers are fluffy peanut butter and then a layer of chocolate.

Like smearing a buckeye ball all over a brownie. Yum.

pb

Buckeye Brownies
Source: Almost Homemade Cookbook

19-1/2 oz. pkg. brownie mix (prepared according to package directions)

For the peanut butter filling:
1 stick butter
2 cups powdered sugar
8oz creamy peanut butter

For the chocolate topping:
6 T. butter, softened
6oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips


Prepare and bake brownie mix in a greased 13"x9" baking pan according to package directions. Let cool.

Peanut butter filling: Mix powdered sugar, butter and peanut butter until smooth. Spread over cooled brownies. Chill for one hour.

Chocolate Topping: Melt together chocolate chips and remaining butter in a saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally or in the microwave. Spread over brownies. Pop back in the fridge to chill again. Cut into squares and enjoy!

7 comments:

StephenC said...

I am not a baker. I am not a sweets eater. But I could be a fan of these brownies. For one thing it's a package mix for the brownies. That's a plus. For another thing, I adore peanut butter (like your little one). No one who has ever read my blog would accuse me of being a sugar freak, but I'm now on the verge.

Callie Grayson said...

Yuuuummmmeeeeeeee
Seriously. I am a peanut butter freak as you say, and these are going to be made very soon!
I love buckeyes, my mum used to make them for my dad when I was young. He is from Ohio and yes the nut is from a tree, and they are poisonous I hear soooo, the peanut butter ones would be much better for you!
Xx
Callie

Anonymous said...

Oh my! these are stunning!!
mary x

White Toast with Butter said...

These look great!

Unknown said...

i am making them right now and i just made the peaunut butter frosting & that tastes good so i think when im done it will be really good thank so much

Unknown said...

im making them right now i made the frosting it taste good so i cant wait to see the end result
thanks a million!
i love your site i live in michigan in the u.s great job

Unknown said...

i am making them right now and i just made the peaunut butter frosting & that tastes good so i think when im done it will be really good thank so much