Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Teppanyaki Style Ginger Dressing

Ginger Dressing. 2jpg


Don't feel bad if you looked at the word Teppanyaki and thought "what the heck is that?". 

I did the same thing. 

Teppanyaki = is a style of Japanese cuisine that uses a big iron gtill to cook food. The word teppanyaki is serived from teppan, which means iron plate and yaki, which means grilled or pan fried.  

Let me put it to you another way. Hibachi Style Japanese Steakhouse.

You've probably been to one....big gas grated flat grill integrated into table around which many people can sit and eat at once. The chef performs the cooking in front of the dinners, typically with theatrical flair, such as lighting a volcano shaped stack of onions on fire or flipping an egg into the air and catching it in their chef's hat.

It was all the rage back in the 90's and I have to admit, we had a local Japanese Steakhouse here in Rhode Island and we went every time it was my birthday and one of the reasons why was because I was addicted to the ginger dressing. 

Addicted I tell you.

My friend Eva and I would always ask for double the amount of dressing and then pour it over our rice, dunk our shrimp into and yes, we used it on the salad too. Salad at the steakhouse wasn't anything to get excited over, mainly lettuce and a few shreds of carrots, but that dressing, it made everything better.

I served this on New Year's Eve and everyone was raving about it. 

I was so excited when I found this recipe on Nibble Me This, and even more excited when I learned that everything just goes into the blender for a big spin. 

I'm a ginger lover so I added in an extra tablespoon. 

Ginger Dressing


Ginger Dressing (Teppanyaki Style)
3/4 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup carrots, diced
1 tablespoon fresh ginger (or more if you love ginger like I do)
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons ketchup
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil

Place all the ingredients in a blender except the oil and liquify until it's a smooth consistency. Add the oil in slowly while blending.

I poured mine into a mason jar so I could just shake it up and serve it. 

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh....I love that dressing too. This is definitely going to be one of the sauces for our fondue at the end of the month! :)

Anonymous said...

What are carrols?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Sorry, that was carrots. Corrected!

Stefanie said...

This looks delicious! And I have everything on hand to make it!

Unknown said...

Fresh ginger or ground ginger?

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

Elaine - FRESH! I'll go specify in the recipe..

Anonymous said...

For people on a low salt diet (kidneys can't handle it)how important is the soy sauce?

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the recipe I know I will love this.

LauraSC

The Cutting Edge of Ordinary said...

I think the soy is a big part of the taste. You could use a low sodium version.

Kim said...

I actually made a ginger, apple and carrot smoothie for breakfast this morning so I completely understand you and Eva at the Hibachi. I haven't been to one of those restaurants in so long but I might just ask for a glass next time I go. Or a pitcher. :) Or better yet, just make this at home. This dressing is like the secret recipe-- finally disclosed!