Thursday, February 25, 2016

Lisa's Granola

Lisas granola 3

You can make your own granola! Yes, you. You can! Let me tell you this....it's a hundred times better than anything you can buy in the store and it's customizable. Make it the way you like it! This recipe is quick, easy, and so much cheater than store bought granola.

There is something to be said about a recipe that you have been making for years and years. I'm lucky enough to have quite a few recipes like this. This granola recipe is one of them.

A friend of mine asked me if my granola recipe was on the blog and I had to stop and think and actually Google myself only to find that, no, it wasn't! I have made this recipe dozens and dozens of times and never blogged it!

I love this granola because it's not too sweet and you can add in just about anything that you'd like. I found some roasted coconut chips at Trader Joe's and they are fantastic in this.

I store this in big gallon mason jars. Nothing says homemade like a mason jar full of food!

Lisas granola

Lisa’s Homemade Granola
Recipe from Lisa@The Cutting Edge of Ordinary
PRINTABLE RECIPE
In a large bowl mix:
4 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup wheat germ
1 cup nuts (walnuts of almonds, whatever nut you like!)
¼ cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
6 – 8 ounces dried fruit. I just eye the fruit really.
Go wild! Cranberries, dates, coconut, raisin, pineapple, papaya. Anything goes!

Mix together:
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1/3 water

Heat the oven to 300. In a large bowl stir together the oats, wheat germ, nuts, sugar, salt and dried fruit. Mix the oil, honey and water together and pour over oat mixture. Stir to coat. Line a sheet pan with parchment and spread the mixture evenly onto the pan.

Place the granola in the oven and set the timer for 10 minutes. Remove and stir and return to the oven for another 10. Repeat this 2 times. Granola will bake for a total of 40 minutes. Let cool completely and store in glass jar or airtight container. Makes about 7 cups.

No comments: